Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide: Take The Proper Steps To Detect

There are lots of potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But nothing is as harmful as carbon monoxide.

 

Carbon monoxide could be a matter of life and death, so it’s not something to joke about. This toxic gas is colourless, odourless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can make its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on the size of the leak and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can lead to death very quickly, or the toxic gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

 

It is important to not risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here’s what you can do:

 

  1. If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Mersey Heating and Air Conditioning in Toronto to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect.
  2. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, be sure to regularly check or replace the batteries. Testing should be done every 90 days, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
  3. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can be certain to receive alerts if there is any sign of carbon monoxide. Our experts can provide more information, so go ahead and call Mersey in Toronto at 416-752-8351 to learn more.

Privacy Policy | Careers

© 2018 Mersey Heating and Air Conditioning Canada All rights reserved.

Facebook icon links to Boonstra's Facebook page.